Sunday, May 24, 2009

Emmy Bean

Emmy Bean
beansome@gmail.com

Montague, MA

Singer, Puppeteer, Artist

After studying music, religion, and theater at Vassar College, I went on to study and work with Sandglass Theater, LaMaMa ETC, and the San Francisco Mime Troupe. In 2005 I performed with the Cosmic Bicycle Theater in "Objete", a children's show created for the ASSITEJ International Festival in Montreal. I have performed my original puppet play "war bride" in Providence, Vermont, New York City and Quebec. Other performance work includes: "The Long Christmas Ride Home" at Studio Theater in Washington DC; "The Snow Queen" at Sandglass Theater in Putney, VT; "Flood" and "Stiles Under Sky" with Company of Strangers. I have also appeared in Amanda Maddock's puppet play "Mrs. Wright's Escape" and co-created the "Three Piggy Opera" at Links Hall in Chicago (with Barbara Whitney and Merrill Garbus). In 2008, I worked as an Associate Curator with Great Small Works atthe Great Small Works 8th International Toy Theater Festival in New York City.

Current work includes:

"Mary and Sarah and You and Me: A Series of Tiny Spectacles".
It's a collaboration with Philadelphia filmmaker and artist Naima Lowe.

Other projects on the table:

"The Man Without a Shadow", a shadow puppet show with digital animation by Jacob Richman.
"The Story of E", a children's adventure story in episodes, due to play this fall in our beautiful old dairy barn in Montague, MA.
The Barn at 8 Main

I am in the process of building and maintaining a live/work space in the old dairy barn. I want this space to be useful and available to artists, thinkers, builders, and growers. I want this space to be a community asset and a gathering place. I also want to invite puppeteers and performers looking for space to workshop and perform new work to check out our barn in Montague, MA. I live here with my friends Rachel and Tom. We're 20 minutes north of Northampton/Amherst in the Pioneer Valley, and we're always looking to bring people together and enjoy creating new performances and events for this thriving rural community.

No comments: