Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Julia Giard Handschuh


Northampton, MA

C3

Performer, Dancer, Director, Artist
I am interested in performance for its immediacy and the opportunity it affords me to manipulate and explore notions of time, subtlety and intimacy. I want to engage people in an experience that asks us to pause, look closer, and consider the world around us. I want to illuminate or amplify the particularities of a given moment, object, or process. These concerns are reflected in the detail, repetition, collecting and documenting that inform my two and three-dimensional work.

Through performance I am able to frame particular aspects of life and fuel my art making process. I use durational performance scores to structure work like 'morning drawings' or 'of the apples I eat' in which drawings or seeds mark the passing of time. These objects are accumulated in lieu of moments and actions in my life; they signify the choice to apply value and meaning to otherwise small things. Those things that we may not ordinarily make space for.

I currently reside in Northampton, Massachusetts where I dance, study cello, am a member of the artist collective Projéct, work on outreach and development for ASPECT: The Chronicle of New Media Art and am Co-Director of Commonwealth Center for Change.

No comments: